I'm going to start a new thing on the blog called Way Back Wednesday to give me a chance to go back and post pictures from when Cade was a baby. I plan to someday make my blog into a book for him to keep and I think these posts will be important for that book.
So I guess I should start at the beginning and highlight some pictures from Cade's Birth. The day of my c-section was a crazy whirlwind day, and I will try and recount some of that day's events the best I can.
I was scheduled for a c-section at 7 a.m. Monday, Dec. 3, 2007 because Cade was breech. My doc had previously tried to do an External Version (where he tries from the outside to turn the baby) but it was unsuccessful so c-section it was. Not a biggie, it was a pretty easy deal.
Mickey and I got to the hospital in Mineral Wells early that morning and were greeted by my mom (who probably spent the night there! HA!) and the FANTASTIC nursing staff. I got all checked in and got my IV and prepped for surgery. I had lots of visitors already, my dad and grandmother, my step dad, Mickey's mom, dad, Jodi and Ryan, and probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment.
They wheeled me out of my room to the OR and got me all ready to go.
Here we are waiting to go in. It's a good look for us, don't you think?!

Once I got in the OR I got my spinal, and then they prepped me some more for the surgery. Here's one of my fave nurses Aunt Lori (I call several of them aunt) talking to me before the doc got in the room. My mom has worked in Labor and Delivery at the Mineral Wells hospital for ages, probably since I was about 10, and I just love ALL the nurses there. And of course they ALL wanted to be in the OR when Cade was born... so they were! I remember when the doc came in to the room he opened the door and said, "Whoa! Did y'all leave any room for me?" Of course we let him squeeze in!
I remember the c-section and what a weird feeling it was for the doc to pull and tug him out. I remember Mickey was sitting there and he was watching and would tell me what he was seeing. When he said they had started I was shocked because I didn't even know! He first saw Cade's butt pop out, then his leg, then his other leg, then finally his beautiful face. He cried almost immediately which is music to a mama's ears. I remember the nurses taking him and checking him over before letting Mickey carry him down to the nursery where all the family was waiting to see Cade through the nursery window. My mom stayed with me while they sewed me back up.
A funny little side note, when Cade was finally out, all the nurses broke into loud cheering. The anesthesiologist Jeff said it sounded like the cheering at a Dallas Cowboy's football game!
Here's one of his first pics.
Cade Michael Belew
Dec. 3, 2007 • 8:03 a.m.
8 lbs, 3 oz • 20 inches long
Perfect in every way.
After that I was taken to the recovery room where I spent a little time and got to hold my little man for the first time. They had put his face up to mine in the OR before they took him out, but here's the first time I really laid eyes on my little pumpkin. Love at first sight.
Proud daddy + weepy mommy = Kodak moment :)
Here's one with Aunt Lori checking out Cade.
And here's Aunt Suzie meeting Cade for the first time. LOVE, LOVE these two nurses. They are definitely two of the very best L&D/baby nurses around. Of course, Mineral Wells hospital has LOTS of fantastic L&D nurses and these are just two of the many nurses who took great care of my family while we were in the hospital. I just can't say enough about the nursing staff... seriously, just the best of the best.
After I got to have a little time with Cade in recovery, they started letting people in to see us. First in was Ryan, Jodi and Memaw.
LOVE this picture of Ryan holding Cade for the first time. He takes his big brother role very seriously.
Papa Tommy
Papaw Richard
Super proud, like busting-at-the-seams proud, Granny. (However, Cade has since named her Mo-Mo!)
This is Mickey's sister Tammy, or Aunt Pooh, as the kids call her. Cade was born on her birthday!
Cade and Uncle Bob. It's amazing how much Bob has grown since this picture was taken.
Cade and Uncle T. Cade acts more like his Uncle T than I'd like to admit! But that's not necessarily a bad thing!
We have LOTS of pictures from Cade's birthday of everybody holding him — and it would take lots and lots and lots of blogging to get them all in. But just know that we had LOTS of visitors and are so grateful everybody came to see us. We have an awesome and supportive family -- on both sides.
Here's my little man and I -- one day old here.
Jodi had to come back the day after Cade was born to get her lovin'. She had to leave early on his birthday for a basketball game.
The next day my Aunt Sharron came in from Abilene to meet her great-nephew. Sadly, this is only one of a handful of times Aunt Sharron got to meet Cade. She passed away in January 2009.
Here's Papa Tommy handling the poopy diaper like a pro! Another funny little side-note -- I never changed a diaper during our 4-day hospital stay. However, I've more than made up for it since!
While we stayed in the hospital, Mickey slept in the extra bed in my room. We wheeled Cade's cart up next to him and if Cade started crying Mick would pat and soothe him, or bring him to me to feed him. I really love this picture.
I can't remember which night, the second or third I think, Cade woke up at 3 a.m. and was wide awake! He was more bright-eyed at that time than we had ever seen him. We just layed him on the end of my bed and sat and talked to him for the longest time. Such a sweet memory.
Here's Cade and my fab doc, Dr. Tarkenton. Please notice the decorations of socks and bonnets hanging behind Dr. T. The nurses decorated my room for me the morning before I was admitted for my c-section. See? I told you they are the best!
Here's the new little family getting ready to leave the hospital.
And Cade all snug in his new car seat.
Home! Finally!
And finally, one last picture of Cade all snuggled in his pack and play his first night at home. What a tiny little pumpkin he was!
OK, now that I'm all weepy now thinking about the fact that my baby is almost TWO, I will stop for this week's Way Back Wednesday!
3 comments:
I'll probably never forgive you for not posting his picture with Aunt Chelsea. Because I mean, really... who's more important than me?!?!?!
Just kidding. I'm glad you posted this... I can't believe how much the kid has grown!
AAAAHHHHHHH! Seems just like yesterday! He's growing way too fast to suit Mo-MO! I love him sooo much!
i love this idea!!! i might start my own way back wednesday!!!! i love looking at newborn pictures of Weston!!
Post a Comment